Adopt a Highway
Help Keep Maricopa County's Roads Beautiful!
MCDOT created the Adopt a Highway program to allow groups and organizations to volunteer and/or support the beautification of country roads. There are two ways your group or organization can get involved. While an adopting organization provides the volunteers who do the litter pickup, a sponsoring business, group or organization instead pays professional contractors to do the work on their behalf.
Traditional Volunteer Program:
- Each qualified group becomes responsible for litter control on an approved minimum one-mile roadway segment.
- Groups must commit to a two-year cleanup commitment, conducting a minimum of two clean ups during each year.
- Maricopa County provides all the participants with Safety Vests, Gloves, Litter Grabbers, Safety Glasses, Orange Bags and a set of Caution signs.
- Safety Training is provided to the Group Leaders prior to the group's first cleanup.
- Permanent recognition road signs will be installed on each end of the adopted segment.
- Designed to provide businesses, group, and organizations the opportunity to financially sponsor litter removal on designated County roadways.
- Qualified organizations must sponsor a minimum one-mile roadway segment.
- The sponsor is responsible for securing a contract with a MCDOT approved maintenance provider and paying for the removal of litter from the sponsored road segment.
- Permanent recognition road signs will be installed on each end of the sponsored road segment.