These are stories of people who have been touched by behavioral health problems – their own or those of people they love. These are stories of challenges and of triumph and can inspire and give hope to people who can relate to the issues or people in the stories. These stories give a personal perspective to the many aspects of behavioral health.
- Motorcycle Crash Shows Bioethicist the Dark Side of Quitting Opioids Alone
When the time came to quit the pain medications, he found little help from his doctors on how to taper off.
- Meth in the Morning, Heroin At Night: Inside the Seesaw Struggle of Dual Addiction
Rehab admissions are on the rise for mixers of heroin and meth. Two women describe how they were swept up in the addiction.
- One Couple's Long, Bumpy Road from Opioid Addiction to Sober Living
This story is about two people who struggled to beat their heroin addiction and are now helping others.
- Can You Reshape Your Brain's Response to Pain?
A story of women who are in pain, but nothing helped it until they got help connecting pain that is physical but may be caused by early trauma and tried a new approach that helped.
- When It Comes To Race, Eating Disorders Don't Discriminate Opens a New Window.
This is a story about a woman who is African American who has overcome her eating disorder. It touches upon the fact that eating disorders are problematic for all races, genders, etc. but is often perceived to be a white woman issue.
- Dealing With Trauma After A Mass Shooting — Over The Long Term
This is a story of a woman who experienced trauma (gun violence) and the process of healing she went through.
- The Unique Struggle to Find a Therapist of Color
A story by a woman who feels therapy is very helpful but struggles with finding a therapist of color and explains why that is so important
- A Brother Lost and Found
A story about two brothers. One was addicted and homeless and the other brother found him. The journey back to his family is just starting.
Depression & Suicide
- Parents blindsided by daughter's suicide hope her story helps save others
A sad story of a daughter’s suicide but it also talks about the parents working hard to help prevent it from happening to others.
- She wanted to be the perfect mom then landed in a psychiatric unit, NPR
This is one woman's experience with postpartum psychosis and the lack of knowledge and understanding by many medical professionals (including behavioral health) about treatment.
- The Challenge of Going Off Psychiatric Drugs
This takes a hard look at medication for mental health disorders and provides another view of the mental health system where medications are given to reduce the side effects of the medications.
- My Two Sons Came Out As Gay And It Almost Destroyed Me. Here's What Saved Me.
A mother’s story of how hard it was, at first, to accept her son when he came out as gay..
- Columbine Survivors Send Kids to Schools Altered by Attack
The survivors of the Columbine school shooting are now parents themselves and this story tells how they cope with the anxiety connected to their fears about school safety.